|Planning meeting NGO, CSO, human rights activitists, politiacian|
|City Editor Daily Suprobhat Bangladesh M Nasirul Hoque is addressing the |
media advocacy meeting was held at Chittagong Press Club
To raise the voice of indigenous, Dalit and religious minority groups, please join with the group and add your vocal to include all socio-economic, political, religious and ethnic groups in the population census with equal treatment.
|Law maker Abu Kashem Master, Chairman standing commiittee of Comerce Ministry |
addressing the Divisional Consulttaion worksho
ISDE Bangladesh has initiated camapign to inclusion of Dalits in the population census with the joint collaboration with SHAREE and Admashumary Parjabekkan Uddog. The activities are press conference, discussion meeting, citizen dialouge and rally, publicity and raise voices of the community.
|Advocate Rana Das Gupta is addressing the divissional dialouge|
|Human chain was organized to demanding the rights at infront of Chittagong Press club|
|Rall and Shoba jatra was march passed & procession at the main street of |
Chittagong City Corporation areas with the particiaption of different section of people
To ensure an inclusive of Daltis in Population Census 2011 with active involvement of all socioeconomic, religious and anthropological groups towards pluralist society with equity, we demand:
- Selection of Animators (data collectors) from community level, from each of the religious, livelihood based and ethnic communities with equity and justice;
- Formation of Civil Society Observation Team to monitor population census process with power to suggest the local offices of the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS);
- In column number 11.a of the questionnaire there is an option of including `Ethnic Minority Groups'. Some simple words like 'or Backward group' or 'Dalit group' can be add here. In the column number 11.b the authority can include some codes for Indigenous Munda, and Dalits with other codes;
- In column number 25 of the questionnaire there are three sub-columns (agriculture, industry and service) under 'Occupation' column. A sub-column 'Specific Occupation' can be added under this column with codes for Cleaner, Pig Rearer, Sweeper, Cobbler, Hair Cutter, Bawali, Moual, Jele etc. along with other mainstream occupations.
- The religious identities of the citizens are defined in column number 18. There are 5 sub-columns (Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Buddhist and Others) under this column without any code for Jain, Shikh, Bahai, nature worshipers or the secular/atheists. So, none can know the actual number of these small religious groups and the atheists and debates over the table would be continued. Some codes should be added under 'Others' to include all of the religious groups in the census.
- Finally, the civil society groups, journalists, donor agencies and UN Agencies may raise their voice for an inclusive Population Census in Bangladesh. On the other hand, the government may take necessary actions to make the census effective, inclusive and transparent because only one change can change the situation: the mindset!